Having thick hair can make finding the perfect straightener a frustrating process. Some flat irons just don't have what it takes to straighten thick or coarse hair. Other options can leave your hair dry and damaged. Luckily, there are a few flat irons on the market that stand out and can deliver quickly straightened hair that is silky smooth. In this article, you will learn the different factors to consider when choosing the best flat iron for thick hair along with a list of our top ten favorites.
Flat Iron FAQs
Before we begin discussing the best flat iron for thick hair, we will take a moment to address some frequently asked questions on the subject.
1. What Is a Flat Iron?
Also known as a hair straightener, a flat iron is used to straighten hair. To use it, you clamp your hair in between the plates and move it through your hair. For fine hair, you can use a flat iron that is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the best flat iron for thick hair will heat up to at least 400 degrees to make your hair pin straight.
2. Which Kind of Plates Should the Best Flat Iron for Thick Hair Have?
Titanium plates work well for those with thick hair, or any hair really, because they heat up quickly and cut down on time. They are typically more inexpensive, more durable, and more lightweight. These are all great qualities to have when making your pick. On the other hand, there is ceramic, which will heat more evenly and causes less damage to your hair. If your hair is in good shape, you can probably get away with a titanium option. However, if your hair is already damaged, it may be worth it to splurge on a ceramic plate flat iron.
3. What Temperature Settings Do I Need to Look for When Purchasing the Best Flat Iron for Thick Hair?
Typically, the best flat iron for thick hair will have a high heat setting. Many flat irons do not go all the way up to 450 degrees, but it may be something to look out for if you've struggled with getting silky, straight hair in the past. Heat protecting spray for hair can help with hair damage, but if your hair is already damaged, you may want to see if you can get away with a lower heat setting.
4. What Is the Best Size for a Flat Iron Used for Thick Hair?
There are typically two options for flat iron plates; ones that are approximately one inch thick or wide plates. The one-inch-thick plates are easy to maneuver and get into harder-to-reach areas on your head. Wide plates are helpful because they can grab more hair at once and cut down on the time you spend straightening your hair. If you can afford it, having one of each is beneficial. If the flat iron itself is lightweight, that can also be very helpful—if you've ever spent some time straightening your hair, then you know how fatigued your wrists and hands can get.
5. Where Can I Purchase the Best Flat Iron for Thick Hair?
You can find flat irons at beauty stores, local retail stores, or online retail stores such as Amazon. All the items on our list of the best flat irons for thick hair can be found quickly and easily on Amazon with the links provided.
How We Reviewed
To help you find the best flat iron for thick hair, we compiled a list of the top ten; we considered several factors to come up with our list. Many flat irons have incredibly helpful features, such as auto turnoff or quick heat-up speed. We tried to find straighteners with as many features as possible, so you get the most for your money. We also took the price range into account and added different options to suit any budget.
Overall Price Range
Flat irons can be found for as little as $20 and can go up to over $500. Most of the items on our list lie somewhere in the middle. A more expensive version will typically have more features than one at a lower cost. You can usually expect a high-priced flat iron to have an automatic turnoff setting, a memory of the heat setting used before, and a range of temperatures that go up to 450 degrees. Typically, lower-cost flat irons have titanium plates; ceramic plates tend to be more.
What We Reviewed
Key Features of this product include the FreeStyle Guiding System that keeps your hair from sliding out, and its ability to be used on all hair types, including African American hair. With the beveled edges, all of your hair stays inside of the plates. You can adjust the heat from 180 degrees F up to 450 degrees F. It also has lights that indicate when it is heating up, ready to go, and cooling down, so there is less guesswork.
- PROTECT YOUR STRANDS - Because of our fully Adjustable Temperature and Precision 1.25 inch Plates, you'll experience One-Pass Styling, for healthier, voluptuous hair.
- TESTED RELIABILITY - After 20 years on the market, the Classic Convertable has stood the test of time. Reliable and Durable, this flat iron is built to last.
- PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE - Our Advanced Heat Technology provides rapid heat up, instant recovery and even distribution for perfect ONE-PASS STYLING
- VERSATILE - The meticulously engineered beveled edges allow for precision Straightening AND Curling.
- UNBEATABLE VALUE - Designed to outperform Hair Straighteners that cost twice as much, we've put forth our best effort to bring this product to everyone's shelves
Key Features of this product include its ergonomic design and ability to heat up quickly. If you have thick hair, you already know how long it can take to straighten it all the way through. Having an iron designed to be ergonomic is imperative in keeping your hands and wrists from tiring and giving out. With thick hair, you typically need more heat to get the job done. The heating-up process usually takes a while with most irons, but not this one. It is perfect for anyone who doesn't have time to waste.
- [SMOOTH HAIR NOW] - Discover how to transform naturally dry, thick, curly, wavy or frizzy hair into silky, smooth hair fast. Accelerate your daily hair routine now without painful tugging, snagging or pulling your precious hair. Our battle tested, proven hair straightener will save you time when styling your hair, with super quick heat up. No more wait times, instantly heats up to 450 F.
- [SHINY SILKY HAIR] - Super Boost of ions to eliminate wild frizz, unwanted waves or curls. Get a proven, professional quality hair straightener to leave your damage free. Get shiny silky smooth hair now. Easy to use, light weight, with even heat distribution, effortlessly gliding through hard to manage hair.
- [INSTANTLY HOT] - Super charge your daily routine. Glides through hair without burn, frizz out or damage. Ultra smooth, long floating plates that perfectly distributes heat as it contacts your hair. Professional styling with easy to use flat iron. Plenty of styling options with a professional hair straightener. .
- [LIGHT WEIGHT] - This Titanium flat iron is ULTRA Thin and Lightweight and gives you salon styled hair. Finally iron your hair without frizz. Get healthy looking hair for the day. Flexible design, suitable for curly and wavy hair type. You only need to go over your hair one time for a smooth, silky look. Works amazing on thick hair.
- [AUTO SHUT OFF FEATURE] - Conquer Crazy Curls with 4 inches of Design - much longer than 1.5 and 2 inches plate - Great product with Amazing 2 Year Warranty plus 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
Key Features of this product include how quickly it works to straighten even the thickest hair and eliminating unwanted frizz. This quick-heating hair straightener can take even the curliest and most coarse hair and turn it into silky-smooth hair. Get a super boost of ions that rids your hair of frizz, making it smooth, shiny, and lightweight. Last, it's got an auto-shutoff feature which can be extremely helpful on the days where you're busy and may forget to turn it off. This straightener was made for those with thick hair and busy routines.
- Professional salon model hair styling iron
- 1" ceramic plates for easy glide
- Versatile styling tool: Flip, Curl & Style
- Creates silky hair instantly
- Flash quick heating, up to 392°F
Key Features of this product include even heat distribution and its impressive straightening power on even lower heat settings. Typically, flat irons need to be heated to around 450 degrees for thick or coarse hair. With the CHI, you get straight hair at around 390 degrees, further preventing heat damage to your hair. It also produces negative ions, which create moisturized and shiny hair. Some reviewers have even said that they don't even need a serum after they're done because their hair is already so silky and shiny!
- Salon grade flat iron right in the comfort of your own home
- Works on any grade hair
- Create any hair style - our Jolie Amour ceramic styling tool allows you to create amazing styles ranging
This salon grade, ceramic flat iron works on any kind of hair and will heat up to 450 degrees. The design of this flat iron is intended to lock moisture into your locks, keeping your hair healthy and shiny while reducing or eliminating frizz. This flat iron is beautifully packaged in a designer gift box, so if you know anybody who has a salon grade flat iron on their wish list, the Jolie Amour flat iron would be a great idea.
Key Features of this product include being compact and lightweight. This incredibly lightweight iron only weighs about 1 lb, keeping your hands and wrists from getting weighed down. Because it's so compact and lightweight, it's a great iron for traveling. Not only that, but it is compatible with outlets in other countries. The tourmaline feature gives an even heat distribution as it smooths your hair out. The iron is great for professionals as you can use it for keratin treatments, sealing in hair proteins while also smoothing the hair's cuticles for long-lasting straight hair. Also, with its multiple heat settings to choose from, everyone in the household can use it no matter how thick their hair is.
- INFRARED FLAT IRON HAIR STRAIGHTENER - The Xtava Pro Satin Infrared flat iron tames frizzy hair minus the damage, leaving hair shiny and smooth. Its 2-inch wide, ceramic tourmaline floating plates glide through even coarsest hair for glossy results
- STRAIGHTENING IRON WITH DIGITAL DISPLAY - Has 10 temperature settings on an LCD digital display ranging from 265°F - 445°F. Choose between 265°F - 300°F for fine delicate hair, 300°F - 380°F for normal hair and 380°F - 445°F for thick or coarse hair
- WIDE PLATES & TRAVEL FRIENDLY - Extra wide, 2-inch bottom floating plates plus upper dual-plate technology maintain even heating for quick styling. With a heat resistant travel case and dual voltage plug, you can maintain your style on the go
- AUTO SHUT OFF & LOCK FEATURE - Designed with 90-second rapid heat up technology, a 60-minute auto shut off function, and an 8-foot long 360 degree swivel cord for tangle-free straightening. Enable the lock feature by double clicking the power button
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Our flat iron comes packaged in a sturdy box with a 2-year warranty and money back guarantee. If you have any issues with our flat iron, simply get in touch with our real human customer support and leave the problem-solving to us
Key Features of this product include the extra wide and quick-heating plates. Although this one may be a little heavier than some other flat irons, you can still get a lot more hair done in one swoop. The plates heat fast, so having wide hot plates can get the job done much more quickly. Its swivel cord helps with comfort, allowing you to twist and move your hand and wrists with ease. This is one of the more inexpensive options on our list, so if you're on a budget but want a good flat iron, this is a good option to consider.
- PROFESSIONAL FLAT IRON - CROC's Classic flat iron combines professionalism and luxury. This iron provides the ultimate styling experience for true professionals. It's ergonomically designed, technologically complete, and ready for everyday use.
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN - Further customize your hair with this lightweight, powerful hair straightener. Floating plates move with the hair, creating a smooth glide, and the deluxe thumb grip makes styling more comfortable.
- FEATURES - CROC's Classic flat iron boasts titanium plates which lock in moisture and reduce static, negative ions which reduce and close cuticles to increase shine, fully digital temperature settings and dual voltage capability.
- ERGONOMIC FEEL - The Classic flat iron is a part of our luxury collection, with extra features, professional components and luxury styling. Designed with our Slip less Comfort Grip, the handle on the flat iron offers a tight press with less grip strain and stays cool even after repeated use.
- QUALITY AND SAFETY- Features a ventilation system that releases excess high heat, preventing internal and physical damage. When the iron is left unattended for 30 min, the Auto shut off feature is activated. Your iron will automatically power itself off.
Key Features of this product include how well it straightens and easily glides over hair without snagging. You only need to go over each piece of hair once to get it pin-straight, helping to prevent heat damage. When Turboion designed this, they created an iron that doesn't pull or snag on your hair. It automatically turns off after 40 minutes, so if you forget to turn it off, no need to worry! Even in humidity, some reviewers said their hair remained straight and sleek.
- Delivers ultimate heat and unprecedented performance results
- For clients with hair of any length who want to eliminate frizz, curls, cowlicks or kinks
- Leaves hair straight, smooth and shiny and in optimal condition
- Features a memory function to easily reach the desired temperature with a touch of a button
- Essential for stylists who perform straightening and smoothing services
Key Features of this product include its thicker plates, heat distribution, and how lightweight it is in your hand. Because the plates are thicker than most flat irons, you can cover more hair at once. This is great for anyone with thick hair, as it cuts down on the time it takes to straighten hair. The heat distribution in this iron is phenomenal, so your hair won't be dry or damaged once you're finished. Weighing less than 1 1/2 pounds, you can easily hold and glide through your hair without fatigue. What makes this iron stand out is its memory function. It remembers the heat settings from last time so that you can get straightening quickly and easily.
Key Features of this product include providing long-lasting straight hair and it's smooth plates that don't pinch. When you use this flat iron, your hair will stay straight for hours, and perhaps even longer. You can easily run this straightener over your hair without the worry of it pinching. It heats up and straightens hair fast, giving you silky-smooth hair in half the time compared to some other brands. With the beveled edges, you can even tilt the flat iron to either flip the ends of your hair or create big, natural-looking curls. When choosing the best flat iron for thick hair, this one is worth considering.
Choosing the best flat iron for thick hair can be a tricky task; some flat irons just do not get the job done for coarse, curly, or thick hair. The best flat iron this list depends on what your preferences are and which style works best for you. We like the Professional Flat Iron Hair Straightener Ceramic Tourmaline because it keeps your hair straight for longer, keeping you from needing to touch up throughout the day. This helps to reduce potential damage to your hair, which is important for keeping it silky and smooth long term.
A great option for those on a budget is the Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener. With the wide and fast-heating plates, you can get your hair straightened much more quickly than other options on the market. No matter which flat iron you pick from this list, you will be turning heads with your gorgeous, sleek hair.